Saturday, May 7, 2011

Lasseter talks 'Cars 2,' 'Brave' and 'Incredibles 2'


Moviefone just posted a great interview with John Lasseter. Not only does it go into great detail about Lasseter's inspirations for Cars 2 and how excited he is for Brave, but the interviewer also gives the reader a short tour of Pixar and John's office.

During the interview, Mr. Lasseter restates what we all know as the Pixar credo, if you will:
Part of the magic of what is Pixar is, of course, number one is the story. It's the humour, the characters, the emotion ... of course all that is in there, but the look of our films. I feel like I could reach up and touch it but I know it doesn't exist. It's the believability. Instead of the word 'realistic,' I use the word 'believability.' The goal I have as a director and a film maker and Creative Officer here is, I want people to come in to our movies ... I always think of the audience every day with everything I do ... I want them to sit down, the lights go down and I want right away to suck them into our movies. And they don't think about a thing until our movie is over.
Brilliantly said. John also discusses how he isn't against an Incredibles sequel, as long as there's a good story to be told. At the moment, however, an Incredibles 2 is not in the works.

He also discusses another pillar of Pixar rule, involving the likability of their characters:
Imagine going to lunch or dinner with someone you've never met before. That's the characters in our movies. You don't want to sit with a jerk, you know? Someone you don't like?
It's a great interview that you should check out to stay excited for Cars 2 and Brave!

No comments: